The City of Richmond was founded in 1798 by Colonel John Miller, a Revolutionary War soldier. According to tradition, Miller was attracted to the area by the good spring water and friendly Native Americans. In 1906, Eastern Kentucky State Normal School was founded in Richmond to train teachers. There were eleven members of the first graduating class in 1909. It became a four-year college in 1922 and added graduate programs in 1935. In 1965, the institution was renamed Eastern Kentucky University. In the late 1990s and through the first decade of the 21st century, Richmond had a commercial and residential boom. Richmond is currently Kentucky’s seventh-largest city.